Both the Municipal Act and the Planning Act provides legislative authority for the municipality to approve such a plan. The establishment of a plan is supported by the Official Plan, as well as the Municipality’s Strategic Plan.
The Plan confirms that communities change and gentrify over time. Plan development is an opportunity for Council to assess the changes that are taking place and the ongoing needs for improvements to infrastructure, community facilities and building stock. The surveys completed by residents and business owners last year identified top concerns in the areas of property standards and town tidiness.
The public was supportive of efforts which would start to address the following:
- Demolition of the former funeral home and Mike’s Stop and Go
- Refurbishing the commercial facades
- Repairing sidewalks (notably near the United Church)
- Landscaping and providing a parkette
- Restricting street level uses to commercial uses (ie apartments in upper levels only)
- Providing benches and waste receptacles
- Encouraging new business development and occupancy of vacant store fronts.
- The hotel was singled out for poor maintenance, while rear yards of businesses which face onto residential properties were seen to need a general clean up.”
This draft plan is currently under consideration by Council.
To access a copy of the draft Community Improvement Plan for Hensall, please click on the link below.
Community Improvement Plan - Hensall - Draft