The Village of Bayfield has a designated Heritage District, comprising of the main street and Clan Gregor Square in the village. This designation was made in 1982 by the Province of Ontario in order to protect this historic village center. An official Heritage District Plan in place. The Bluewater Heritage Committee (formerly L.A.C.A.C.) oversees this district and advises Bluewater Council on any changes in the Heritage District as to their compatibility with the heritage values. Architectutural changes to existing buildings, new construction, colour schemes, signage, and landscape are reviewed by the Heritage Committee.
The Rutledge House plaque
Information about Rutledge House (formerly known as the Westlake Residence)
Rutledge House, formerly known as the Westlake Residence – Plan 147, Part Lots 216 and 217, Bayfield – This large two storey brick residence of simple but robust proportions was built in 1867 by Mr. Rutledge, a grain merchant. Subsequently, it was owned by Dr. Woods and became a doctor’s office and post office as well as a residence. Architecturally the building is undistinguished but is an integral part of a handsome group of buildings from the Rogers house to the north to the Presbyterian Church to the south.
The Westlake Residence is an integral part of a streetscape building façade extending from the Roger’s residence to the north to the Presbyterian Church to the south. The key elements of this façade are the two storey building height, brick as the exterior wall material, the evenly spaced window apertures at second storey and the store front at ground level. These elements are intended for conservation in this Plan. Restoration encouraged to the residence is the integration of the bank sign and original fascia board and a more compatible design of the entrance portico roof.
In 2008, a veranda was added with wood trim sympathetic to the era of the building.
Source: Bayfield-A Heritage Conservation District Plan, 1983, prepared by Hill and Borgal, Architects and Planners, Goderich.